The Guernsey Dog Club, as it was originally known, was founded in 1901. It maintains its own Registration Department and holds a Reciprocal Agreement with the Kennel Club. In November 2005 the Club's name was changed to the Guernsey Kennel Club to reflect its long-held status as a kennel club in its own right. The aim of the Club is to promote the general improvement of dogs and
Shows are judged under the seven group system and breed standards set down by the Kennel Club are recognised. Judges from the UK are approved and appointed by the Guernsey Kennel Club Committee. The year starts with a Members' Show in February, followed by three Open Shows, in May, September and October. These are open to Channel Islands exhibitors only. The seven Group Winners, Best Puppy in Show, Reserve Best Puppy in Show, Best Junior in Show and Best Veteran in Show from the Open Shows qualify for Crufts the following year.
Richard McMahon, Bailiff of Guernsey